Sunday, March 25, 2012

http://horneberindustries.com/


My attempt at running the distance around the earth.
 24901.55 Miles.
As of today 3/25/12, I currently have:
824.94 Miles Completed

Today's run was an easy out and back run starting on the W&OD (Washington and Old Dominion) Trail for the first three miles and then jumped onto the CCT (Cross County Trail) for six miles and then back onto the W&OD for the last three.

It had rained earlier that morning so a normal person would have stayed on the nice paved trail of the W&OD, but not me. After running three miles on a paved surface I found myself longing to hit a real trail, one made of dirt. As I approached the CCT junction my curiosity had been piqued, as I had yet to run on this particular portion of the trail. Without hesitation, as though I had planned this prior to my run, I darted off the W&OD and on to the CCT. I knew my pace would drop as soon as I got onto the dirt trail. This was actually a good thing. Not everything should be done at such a quick pace. Sometimes its nice to stop and smell the roses. Without actually stopping, I proceeded up the north side of the trail heading for Great Falls Park. I wasn't actually going to get to Great Falls today, although I'm sure it would have been a great sight as the forest floor is beaming with bright green newly sprouted grass, and at some points along the way a sea of yellow dandelions. There were several water crossing. This could have presented a problem because the water level had risen due to the rain we had previously received earlier that morning, however there were bridges made of rocks that sat just above the water line.

Even though the ground was muddy and it was slightly chilly outside, it turned out to be a nice day for a run. Discovering new places you never knew existed within your own back yard. Today was a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment